Of Frogs and Roses
Magic System Changes
Here I try to list the differences from 5e standard magic system. It is a nerf list as the Dark Albion World has magic a bit less than more.
- Aviable slots follow the half caster (ie Ranger) progression.
- 6th level spells and above is generally only accessible through “special” measures.
- Evocation spells are as a rule blacklisted. However, some will find their way back.
- I have ditched the Components, as I felt they where side-lined anyway.
- Ritual magic will be expanded, including higher spells and strange magic.
- Will tweak spells to have less visual effects “hiding” magic from the mundanes, and remove most of the direct damage combat magic. No fireballs … sorry!
- There is no division between Arcane and Divine magic.
- Spellbooks for Scholars is much less restricted than for original Wizards, no personal “atunement” needed. Instead a reading and study requirement. The magical spellbook/Grimoire is now for Warlocks only.
- The Priest has a other way of regaining spell slots than vanilla Cleric.
- The Sorcerer’s system of points and metamagic will be branded Fey Magic and in one way or another used (optionally) by Bards and Rangers.
- For high power magic, form a Coven